Hey guys, we reached the halfway point of the 2017 season in the Sally. 70 games down and 70 to go. It’s been a fun ride so far but it’s going by too fast. A lot of talent in the league this year and ranking the top 25 was a challenge.
I’ll be around all day to answer comments/questions either at the bottom of the page or on Twitter @AshevilleSoxFan. Cheers
1) CF) Leody Taveras, Hickory (Rangers)
2) CF) Mickey Moniak, Lakewood (Phillies)
3) CF) Cristian Pache, Rome (Braves)
4) RHP) Riley Pint, Asheville (Rockies)
5) CF) Blake Rutherford, Charleston (Yankees)
6) OF) Estevan Florial, Charleston (Yankees)
7) RHP) Ian Anderson, Rome (Braves)
8 LHP) Joey Wentz, Rome (Braves)
9) RHP) Alec Hansen, Kannapolis (White Sox)
10) RHP) Sixto Sanchez, Lakewood (Phillies)
11) 3B) Colton Welker, Asheville (Rockies)
12) RHP) Dane Dunning, Kannapolis (White Sox)
13) CF) Desmond Lindsay, Columbia (Mets)
14) LHP) Braxton Garrett, Greensboro (Marlins)
15) 3B) Bobby Dalbec, Greenville (Red Sox)
16) RF-CF) Randy Ventura, Rome (Braves)
17) RF) Sandro Fabian, Augusta (Giants)
18) OF) Jake Ring, Delmarva (Orioles) One of the best BP rounds I’ve seen all year + Raw power. Long swing with above average bat speed. Will write up soon as part of a piece titled “5 under the radar power bats”
19) RHP) Merandy Gonzalez, Columbia (Mets)
20) RHP) Bryan Mata, Greenville (Red Sox)
(21-25) I need to see (or see again) these players before I can rank but they’re slam dunks for the list.
Juan Soto, Jason Groome, Carter Kieboom, Michael Matuella, Khalil Lee
The next 5: Daniel Brito, Lorenzo Cedrola, Manuel Melendez, James Nelson (probably deserves to be higher, I just didn’t get a great look at him. Ditto for #5 Michael Paez. I will look to remedy that for the end of season list.
This next group probably would have been in consideration for the list but I’ve missed them to date: Jordan Humphreys, Thomas Szapucki, Adonis Medina, Mike Shawaryn, Tyler Watson, Luis Escobar, CJ Chatham, Jojo Romero, and Matthias Dietz. I saw Tyler Nevin and Arquimedes Gamboa once apiece. I want to see some more before I write.
Leody Taveras vs Mickey Moniak was a difficult decision. They’re both very talented and similar in so many ways. I leaned Leody because I’m slightly more confident in his power potential. More on how Pache and Rutherford stack up with the 1st two in a separate piece (link below).
I also had some difficulty ranking the arms from Ian Anderson – Sixto Sanchez. I feel like they’re all potential mid rotation arms with perhaps more in there. If Hansen was a sure fire starter he would have been a top of this group. Dunning falls just behind this tier because while I think he has potential to be a solid #3. He doesn’t have the same upside.
Braxton Garrett would be 5th on the list if not for the unfortunate news that he needed TJ.
For a much deeper look at the top 5 Sally Center Fielders ( Leody Taveras, Mickey Moniak, Cristian Pache, Blake Rutherford and Estevan Florial) click here.